The Ultimate Diving experience











Cengiz Bergun
No. 121/8
Duzkaya Stadium
Catalkoy / Kyrenia
North Cyprus
Mersin 10, Turkey
Tel: +90 (0) 533 868 3165



It is claimed in Assyrian sources that date back to the 7th Century BC that the city that was called Ledra is the original of Nicosia. During the old Egyptian period on the island, in the years around 300 BC, the son of Ptolemy 1, Lefkos, rebuilt the city and gave it his name. The name of Lefkoşa derived from this.  Some also say that it derives from the white poplar trees, called Lefki, that grew in abundance in its river beds. The name Nicosia was first used in the 12 Century when the native people rebelled  against the Knights Templar. From this date onwards the island was ruled from Nicosia and it was accepted as the capital city of Cyprus.

The city was developed during the Lusignan period and continued until the Venetians conquered the island in 1489. During the Venetian administration, in order to strengthen the walls, many churches and palaces were demolished and the materials were used in the construction.

Nicosia, conquered by the Ottomans in 1570, was ornamented with mosques, Turkish baths, Moslem theological schools and inns which were works of art of the Ottoman culture.

click here for more about Nicosia

Settlement in the Kyrenia area goes back to Neolithic times, and under the influence of the Anatolian coastal civilizations during the Bronze Age, the population of the region grew. Until 312 BC Kyrenia was an independent city kingdom but was then taken over by Salamis. The name is thought to date back to that time when Ptolemy 1, King of Salamis, referred to the town as ‘Keravnia’ which means Aphodite with the Thunderbolt.

During Roman times, Kyrenia was a Christian city even before it had become the official religion of the Roman Empire. In 1571 the Ottomans conquered Kyrenia without firing a single shot.

click here for more about Kyrenia

Famagusta is thought to have been established by King Ptolemy Philadelphus II (285247 BC) around the lagoon near the coast of what are now the Salamis ruins. The modern town is built on the ancient city of Arsenoe, named after the wife of the king, which was built to replace Salamis after its sacking by Arab raiders in 648 AD.

The name of the new city, Ammakhostos, means ‘hidden in the sand’, and residents hoped not to attract the raiders. The city developed after its conquest by the crusaders in 1291. From this date onwards, Famagusta soon became a stopping off point for pilgrims on their way to Jerusalem and it grew in both political strength and material wealth.

In 1571 the Ottomans took the city and it soon reverted to the insignificant port city it has been in early times. During British rule much of the architectural heritage of the city was lost when stone was taken from many of the historical sites to aid in the building of the Suez Canal.

click here for more about Famagusta



© Created by MMB 2007-2016